Parts of Speech
There are eight Parts of Speech in English Grammar.
Parts of Speech are the classes into which words are divided according to their function in a sentence.
A Noun is the name of a person, place or thing.
There are five kinds of Nouns.
- Common Nouns: City, table, television, oven, sea, continent, camera, house boat.
- Proper Nouns: Australia, Harry Potter, Jog Falls, Pacific Ocean, Tajmahal.
- Collective Nouns: Audience, pack, deck, cluster.
- Abstract Nouns: Determination, proposal, happiness, failure, victory.
- Material Noun: Nylon, polyester, jute, silk, wood.
Pronouns are words used instead of Nouns. There are seven kinds of Pronouns.
- Personal Pronouns
- Reflexive Pronouns
- Demonstrative Pronouns
- Indefinite Pronouns
- Distributive Pronouns
- Interrogative Pronouns
- Relative Pronoun
Examples: I, we, you, he, she, they, it, mine, us, ours, yours, hers, his, theirs, them
A Verb denotes an action, or being or possession.
Verbs have three chief forms.
- The Present (first form)
- The Past Tense (second form)
- The Past Participle (third form)
All the other parts of a verb are formed with their help.
An Adverb is a word that describe verbs.
An Adjective is used to quality or add something to the meaning of a Noun.
A Preposition is a word used with a Noun or Pronoun to show its relation to some other words in the sentences.
A Conjunction is a word used to join together words, phrases or sentences.
An Interjection is an exclamatory word, denoting some sudden feeling.
Parts of Speech , Noun, Plural Nouns, Pronoun, Learn English Verbs , Learn Verbs in all the three forms, 1000 Verbs with its forms, 200 Irregular Verbs with its forms
Phrasal Verbs A-Z, Auxiliaries, Adverb, Adjective , Degree of Comparison, Preposition, Conjunction, Interjection , Determiners, Sentences, Punctuation, The Power of Punctuation, Punctuation Rap, Learn Tenses, Learn Verb Forms, Articles
Active And Passive Voice , Common Errors in English Usage, Idioms, Proverb
Academic / Business Vocabulary, Antonyms, Synonyms, Homonyms, More than 1000 One Word Substitution, Interesting Etymologies : Word Origins, List of Abbreviations
4000 Most Common English Words, British English / American English, Common Misspelled Words, Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives & adverbs, English Jokes , Do you Know?
Important Spellings Rules
- Parts of Speech
- Plural Nouns
- Learn English Verbs Learn Verbs in all the three forms
- 1000 Verbs with its forms
- 200 Irregular Verbs with its forms
- Phrasal Verbs A-Z Auxiliaries
- Degree of Comparison
- The Power of Punctuation
- Punctuation Rap Learn Tenses
- Learn Verb Forms Articles Active And Passive Voice
- Common Errors in English Usage
- Academic / Business Vocabulary
- More than 1000 One Word Substitution
- Interesting Etymologies : Word Origins
- List of Abbreviations
- 4000 Most Common English Words
- British English / American English
- Common Misspelled Words
- Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives & adverbs
- English Jokes
- Do you Know?
- Important Spellings Rules
- Tongue Twisters
- English Collocations